Saturday, September 17, 2011

Peking Duck


My idle wings carry just enough weight
To land in your arms – once.
They wait for years without.

I love water, they slide right through my feathers
Small planktons, fish and snails to feed on
Little dips, smooth sailing,
Cacophonies of meaningless laughter.

My guiltless fat crackles in fire
Ending up in gourmet dining
With your drools all over.
The last thing I remember
In rows hanging upside down
Masks and aprons up since dawn.
Knives sliding down throats dripping blood,
Skinned to perfection,
Roasted tender, sweetened in sauce.
I’ll be up for specials
Prepared in hands of chefs taking years to master
Displayed in hooks bare naked
To allure hungry diners.

My redemption is your indulgence
Your acid consumes mine
I begin to transform and exist-
In your marrow, flesh, blood and bile.

March 25, 2011

No comments: